The best way to prepare for tummy tuck surgery is to learn about the recovery period. Knowing what to expect will help you prepare for your tummy tuck procedure. You can expect to experience soreness, swelling, fatigue, and limited mobility for a period of time after the procedure; however, you can minimize these effects by taking appropriate steps in before the surgery. The more you can prepare ahead of time for your tummy tuck surgery, the easier your recovery will be.
- Since you know you will have pain and swelling, make sure you have the proper items to reduce both of these. You will receive painkillers for the period immediately following the surgery, but you may not need these for very long. Be sure to have over-the-counter pain relievers available in your home to treat minor aches and pains.
- Apply ice packs to your abdomen to reduce swelling. Remember to never put ice directly on your skin as this could cause frostbite!
- You will be tired after your surgery and may not feel like cooking, so you will want to prepare and freeze a number of healthy meals so that you can just warm them up in a microwave oven.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing that does not rub or irritate the incision.
- You will not be able to submerge yourself in a bath so make sure you are able to wash yourself safely. A handheld showerhead is useful for this purpose.
- As a precaution, you should always be within reaching distance of a phone.
Dev Wali, MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon